‘Kisir’ is a type of Turkish salad served cold as a meze usually. I often eat this as a main dish with pieces of chicken on top. The key to this dish is to chop every ingredient finely. Preparation time: 30 minutes.
Ingredients (serves 4 people)
- Half a red onion very finely chopped
- 2 or 3 spring onions (scallions) very finely chopped
- 1 tomato very finely chopped
- 1 small cucumber very finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove (crushed with garlic crusher)
- 1 large bunch of dill very finely chopped
- Half the amount of parsley very finely chopped
- 1.5 cups of fine bulgur
- 1.5 cups of boiling water
- 2 tbsp. of red pepper paste
- 2 tsp. of red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- Juice of two lemons (or more if needed)
- Place the bulgur in a large mixing bowl and pour the same amount of boiling water in (1.5 cups of boiling water to 1.5 cups of bulgur). The water should cover the bulgur.
- Cover the bowl with cling film (cling wrap) immediately and place a tea towel (kitchen towel) on top and around the bowl. Leave the bulgur to soak in the liquid which should take 15-20 mins.
- Chop all your vegetables while the bulgur softens.
- Combine the chopped red onion, scallions and crushed garlic with the red pepper paste and olive oil and mix in a bowl, then set aside.
- Remove the cling film and towel from the bulgur bowl and fluff the bulgur up with your fingers wearing rubber gloves (or alternatively use a fork).
- Add the onion and pepper paste mix into the bulgur bowl and work it evenly through to ensure all of the bulgur is coated with the mix. It should turn a reddish colour.
- Add the other chopped vegetables and continue tossing this with your fingers until all the ingredients are evenly spread throughout the dish.
- Add salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes and lemon, then mix again.
- This dish can be served straight away and will taste delicious, but generally it is kept refrigerated for several hours before serving.
- Serve this with lemon wedges on the side and enjoy.