Artichokes really are a nutrient powerhouse that you should try to include in your diet if you don’t do so already. This dish is served cold, perfect for the summer time. Preparation time: 10 minutes. Cooking time: 45 minutes.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 white onion finely chopped
- 10-12 artichoke hearts
- 2 garlic cloves finely sliced
- half a cup of peas, fresh or frozen
- Bunch of mint finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. of olive oil
- Juice of one lemon
- The rind of one lemon
- A sprinkle of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Boil the artichoke hearts in a large saucepan with the lemon rind in quarters for 30 minutes. I buy the artichoke hearts frozen in packets (this saves a great deal of time removing all the leaves). If you wish to use fresh artichokes then boil these the same way and leave to cool before pealing off the leaves to get to the core.
- Add the peas and boil for another 10 more minutes. You will know the artichokes are ready when you can easily stick a toothpick through it without effort. Drain and leave to the side for now.
- While the peas are boiling, use a separate pan to fry the onions in olive oil over medium heat for circa 5 minutes until they start to turn a little transparent.
- Add the garlic to the pan and fry for approx. 2 minutes (until they start to tender but not brown).
- Add the lemon juice, mint, salt and pepper and simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Drain the artichoke and peas and discard the lemon rind, then chop the artichoke hearts into quarters.
- Add the artichoke hearts, peas and contets of the pan into a large salad bowl. Proceed to mix and add a sprinkle of olive oil.
- Add more salt and pepper to taste, then place the bowl in the fridge and chill for at least 2-3 hours before serving.