This refreshing, cold soup originates from the region of Andalusia in the south of Spain, where I grew up. Perfect for lunch or dinner in the summertime.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Ingredients (serves 4 people)
- 10-12 juicy ripe tomatoes chopped
- 2 cucumbers chopped
- 1 white onion chopped
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 1 or 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1/4 cup of water
- A splash of red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Croutons (optional)
- Chop all the ingredients and place in a large bowl.
- Pour the olive oil, red wine vinegar, water, salt and pepper over the chopped vegetables.
- Blend all the ingredients together well. Add more water if required.
- Some people put the ingredients through a sieve to make it thinner. I personally prefer not to, but either works well.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour (the longer the better). I usually make a large batch in the morning to last several days.
- Garnish with a few pieces of chopped tomatoes, peppers and onions when serving. Croutons are optional.
- Sprinkle a little olive oil over the serving and add more salt or pepper if required.