This is probably the easiest and most simple artichoke recipe out there. Perfect for snacking whilst watching TV.
Preparation time: 5 minutes. Cooking time: 45 minutes.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 4 fresh artichokes washed
- A large pot filled with boiling water
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 tspn. soya sauce
- 1 tspn. Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the artichokes into a large pot of boiling water on medium to high heat. Let this boil for about 45 minutes. Insert a sharp knife or tooth pick into the stem area to check if this is ready (if it goes through effortlessly then they are ready).
- In the meantime, add the olive oil, lemon juice, mustard and soya sauce into a small bowl and mix. Add salt and pepper also.
- Drain the water and let the artichokes cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- This can be eaten straight away or can be left refrigerated and eaten cold, with the dipping sauce. Start off by pealing the leaves off one by one and eating only the soft bit near the core (dipping this into the sauce). The outer leaves do not have much substance, but once you get to the middle you’ve hit the jackpot.