Yogurt is widely used throughout Mediterranean and Middle Eastern countries, with slight variations in prepping. Greeks prefer to use dill in their ‘Tzatziki’ where as Arabs prefer mint. Turks have multiple mezes that are based on this recipe but instead of mint contain spinach, hot chilies, egg plant or nuts. Turks and Greeks tend to serve this as a meze where as Arabs eat this with rice or alongside their meal. Either way it’s fantastic.
Ingredients (serves 4 people)
- 1 pot of natural or Greek yogurt
- 1 cup of cucumbers finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- Handful of mint leaves finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- Place the yogurt into a bowl.
- Add the cucumber, garlic and salt then mix well.
- If the yogurt is too thick add some water and mix (the dip should be creamy but not too thick).
- Eat straight away or refrigerate until serving time.
- Garnish with mint (fresh or dried)