Grilling or roasting eggplant gives it a unique creamy, smoky taste. This recipe is popular throughout the middle east and has various regional names: Moutabal, Mutabal, Moutabel or Baba Ganoush for instance. There are some variations in terms of preparation but the key ingredients are the same. Serve with warm pita bread and enjoy.
Preparation time: 25-30 minutes
Ingredients (serves 4-5 people)
- 4-6 aubergines
- 1-2 garlic cloves crushed (more if you want it extra garlicky)
- 2 tbsp. of tahini
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice only
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parsley and/or red pepper flakes for garnish (optional)
- Grill the aubergines on the BBQ ideally for 15-20 mins (turning every few minutes to chargrill all sides)
- Let the aubergines cool for 30 mins before removing the chargrilled skin.
- Chop the soft flesh roughly before placing into a bowl. With a fork crush the flesh to make it smoother.
- Add the crushed garlic, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper, then mix well.
- Refrigerate for at least two hours (the longer the better). I usually make a batch the day before I plan to serve it.
- Garnish with parsley or red pepper flakes on top (optional)
- Before serving, mix and add more olive oil on top if required.