This summery pasta recipe will leave you feeling full, but without that stodgy feeling that some cheese-filled pastas bring with it. It tastes best at room temperature or cold so it’s ideal for BBQs or picnics.
Preparation time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 15-20 minutes.
Ingredients (serves 4-5 people)
- 400-500 grams of fusilli pasta
- A large pot of boiling water
- 1 white onion chopped
- 4 leeks chopped
- Bunch of parsley chopped
- Bunch of basil chopped
- 1-2 fresh red or green chili pepper finely chopped
- 4-5 tbsp. of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a pot of water to the boil and insert the fusilli pasta. Boil for 10-12 minutes.
- In the meantime, chop the onion, leek, chilies and parsley.
- Heat the olive oil in a deep pan and fry the onion for a couple of minutes until golden.
- Add the chilies and leeks, then fry gently for a further 5 minutes until tender.
- Add the pesto mix to the pan and stir (I use a pre-made pesto but you can make your own if you prefer)
- Once cooked, drain the pasta and add it to the pesto sauce pan and mix to coat the pasta in the sauce.
- Turn the heat off and add the chopped parsley and basil leaves then mix. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Eat straight away hot or refrigerate for serving later. Before serving, pour some olive oil over the top and mix. Garnish with parsley or Basil.