Okra which is known as ‘ladies fingers’ in many English speaking countries is an excellent source of antioxidants and is packed full of nutrients. The health benefits are plentiful; it stabilizes cholesterol levels, prevents liver disease and strengthens your immune system. Roasting them minimizes the natural sliminess of these superfood pods and can be eaten as a snack, a meze or side dish.
Preparation time: 5 minutes Cooking time: 10-15 minutes.
Ingredients (serves 3-4 people)
- 2 bags of fresh okra (20-30 okra pods)
- 2 tbsp. of olive oil
- 1 tsp. paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the over to 200 degrees Celsius (392 Fahrenheit).
- Wash the okra and cut each pod in half (length ways with step on) so that the seeds are exposed.
- Add the okra and the olive oil to a bowl and mix to coat all the okra pieces.
- Arrange the slices side by side on one layer of foil in a baking tray with the exposed okra side facing up.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper and paprika on each.
- Once the oven is preheated, insert the tray and bake for 10-15 minutes until crispy.