This deliciously simple, spicy pasta recipe is great for mid-week lunches or dinners.
Preparation time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 15 minutes.
Ingredients (serves 4 people)
- 400-500 grams of fusilli pasta
- A large pot of boiling water
- 1 white onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1-2 fresh red chili peppers finely chopped
- 4-5 tbsp. of olive oil
- 2 tbsp. concentrated tomato paste
- 1 cup of fresh chopped tomatoes (or 1 tin of chopped tomatoes)
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tin of black olives (more of less as you prefer)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chili flakes and parmesan cheese for garnish (optional)
- Bring a pot of water to the boil and insert the fusilli pasta. Boil for 10-12 minutes.
- In the meantime, chop the onion, garlic and chilies.
- Heat the olive oil in a deep pan and fry the onion for a couple of minutes until golden.
- Add the chilies and garlic, then fry gently for a further 3-4 minutes until tender.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and the tomato paste to the pan and stir, simmering for 5-6 minutes until it starts to thicken.
- Once cooked, turn the heat off, add the lemon juice, black olives, salt and pepper.
- Drain the pasta and add it to the sauce pan and mix to coat the pasta in the sauce.
- Ideally eat straight away while hot or refrigerate for serving later. Before serving, pour some olive oil over the top and mix. Garnish with chili flakes and/or parmesan cheese (optional).