This simple ‘caldo de verduras’ or vegetable soup reminds me of my childhood. Whenever we were feeling under the weather, my mum would make this. I make enough soup for 3 or 4 days and it saves me the cooking the next day. You can add whatever vegetables you have and adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Preparation time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 20 minutes.
Ingredients (serves 4 people)
- 1 white onion chopped
- 3 leeks sliced into 3cm pieces
- 4-5 carrots peeled and chopped into 2cm pieces
- 2 medium sized potatoes peeled and chopped into cubes
- 2 tbsp. of olive oil
- 1 vegetable stock cube (bouillon)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parsley for garnish
- Gently fry the onions over medium heat in the olive oil for about 2 minutes until they start to soften.
- Add the potatoes and the carrots, followed by water (i tend to add enough to cover the vegetables by about 10-15 cm but you can add as much water as you like).
- Dissolve the stock cube in the soup, mix and cover the pot. Leave to simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the leeks to the soup as well as salt and pepper, then leave to cook for a further 5-6 minutes until the potatoes and the carrots are cooked but still firm. Adjust these timings as you wish.
- Sprinkle chopped parsley on top and more salt and pepper if required.