This Turkish vegetarian stew served alongside couscous is tasty and very easy to make. I usually make enough for a couple of days as it keeps well and tastes just as good if not better the next day. Preparation time: 15 minutes. Cooking time: 45 minutes.
Ingredients (serves 4 people)
- 16-20 runner beans or flat beans chopped into 4-5 pieces
- 2-3 carrots chopped into 2cm pieces
- 2 leeks chopped into 2cm pieces
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves sliced
- 1 cup of freshly chopped tomatoes (skin on)
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 1 lemon cut into quarters (for serving)
- Place olive oil in a pot over medium heat and sauté the onion for 1 minute.
- Add the green beans and garlic, continue to sauté for another minute.
- Add the carrots, chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, boiling water, salt and pepper, then mix.
- Lower the heat, cover the pot and let the stew simmer on low for 35-40 minutes stirring every 15 minutes.
- Add the leeks to the pot and stir. Cover and leave for an additional 8-10 minutes.
- Drizzle a teaspoon of olive oil onto the stew before serving with a wedge of lemon on the side.