Couscous descends from north Africa and is a real staple throughout Africa s well as being popular in many other countries today. It’s a healthier alternative to rice and only requires four ingredients: couscous, vegetable/chicken stock, salt and pepper. I add lemon to mine but that’s optional.
Preparation time: 2 minutes. Cooking time: 10 minutes.
Ingredients (serves 2-3 people)
- 1 cup of fine couscous
- 1 cup of boiling water
- 1 stock cube (vegetable or chicken)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preparation and Cooking
- Over medium heat, dissolve a stock cube in water and bring to the boil.
- Add the couscous and lemon juice to the water and mix, then cover and turn the heat off.
- Let the couscous stand for 10 minutes and then fluff with a fork to separate the grains.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.