Giant butter beans (otherwise known as ‘Gigantes’) grow in abundance in Greece. This recipe is seriously easy and oh so tasty. It’s packed full of fibre, increases energy levels and prevents diabetes amongst other benefits. This dish can be served hot, warm or at room temperature.
Preparation time: 5 minutes Cooking Time: 30 mins
Ingredients (serves 2-3 people)
- 2 tins of cooked Gigantes or butter beans rinsed
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp. tomato paste
- 1 white onion chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves sliced
- 1 handful of baby spinach washed
- 1/2 cup of chopped parsley
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 3-4 tbsp. of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Gently fry the onion in olive oil for a couple of minutes, then add the garlic and soften for a further 2 minutes
- Stir in the paprika, tomato paste, chopped tomatoes, salt, pepper and 150ml of water.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes covered, stirring occasionally.
- Add the parsley and the spinach, mix ino the sauce and leave to simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the beans, gently mix and drizzle some olive oil over the top. Leave to simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Serve alongside toasted bread and garnish with parsley on top.