Low in calories, yet tasty and filling. This giant couscous salad keeps well in the fridge for a few days so it’s perfect to prepare in advance for lunches throughout the week.
Ingredients (serves 4 people)
- 1 red onion quartered and sliced
- 10-12 cherry tomatoes chopped into quarters
- 1 garlic clove (crushed with garlic crusher)
- 1 large bunch of coriander finely chopped (or parsley if you prefer)
- 1.5 cups of giant couscous
- 2 tsp. of sumac spice
- 1 tsp. of red pepper flakes or chili flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon (or more if needed)
- Heat a dash of olive oil in a deep pan and toast the giant couscous for a couple of minutes over medium heat. This step will give it a lovely nutty flavour in the end.
- In the same pan, boil the couscous for 10-13 minutes (refer to the instructions on the type of couscous you buy). Don’t over cook it or you’ll end up with mush. Once it’s ready, drain the couscous and run cold water over it. Leave aside to cool in a large serving bowl.
- In the meantime, slice the onion and chop the tomatoes and coriander. Add these to the bowl of couscous.
- In a separate bowl combine the olive oil, lemon juice, crushed garlic, red pepper flakes, sumac, salt and pepper for the dressing.
- Add the dressing to the couscous salad and mix well so that all the ingredients are coated in this. Add more salt and pepper if required.
- You can serve this right away if you wish, but it tastes better after being refrigerated for a couple of hours.