Simple to make and a great way of using up ingredients that you might have sitting in the fridge. Get creative and add additional toppings as you wish.
Ingredients (serves 4 people)
- 1/2 red onion finely chopped
- 8-10 cherry tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 small cucumber finely chopped
- 1 tin of cooked chickpeas rinsed well
- 10-12 pitted black olives sliced
- 1.5 cups of couscous
- 1.5 cups of boiling water
- 1 tsp. dried mint
- 1 tsp. of red pepper flakes or chili flakes
- Cubes of feta cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon (or more if needed)
Preparation and cooking
- Place the couscous in a pot and add the boiling water. Mix and immediately turn off the heat and cover.
- Let the couscous stand for 10 minutes and then transfer to a serving bowl and fluff with a fork to separate the grains.
- Chop all your vegetables while the couscous softens.
- Add the chopped red onion, tomatoes, cucumber, chickpeas and black olives to the couscous bowl.
- Combine olive oil, lemon juice, dried mint, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and mix in a separate bowl, then pour it over the couscous salad.
- Mix well so that all the ingredients are coated in this. Add more salt and pepper if required.
- Top the salad with chopped or crumbled feta cheese.