Grilling or roasting intensifies the flavor of vegetables and red peppers are certainly one of my favourites to cook this way. This easy recipe is popular throughout the med, especially in Spain and Italy. ‘Pimientos a la parilla’ are perfect as a side dish with meat or fish, or simply as part of a meze or tapas selection for lunch or dinner.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Ingredients (serves 4 people)
- 5-6 red peppers
- 1-2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parsley for garnish
- Grill the peppers on the BBQ ideally for 10-12 mins.
- Let the peppers cool for 30 mins before removing the chargrilled skin.
- Cut the peppers into long strips and place in a bowl.
- Add the crushed garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper, then mix well.
- Refrigerate for at least two hours (the longer the better). I usually make a batch the day before I plan to serve it.
- Garnish with parsley on top (optional)
- Before serving, mix the peppers and add more olive oil on top if required.