Slow cooked minced beef in a red wine and coriander sauce with green, red and yellow peppers, carrots, onion and garlic. I call this my ‘rainbow’ dish due to the many colours that make up the finished product. Comfort food full of goodness. This is another one of my ‘one pot’ recipes, creating less to wash up later.
Preparation time: 10 minutes. Cooking time: 40 minutes.
Ingredients (serves 3 – 4 people)
- 400gr organic minced beef
- 1 red pepper chopped into small pieces
- 1 green pepper chopped into small pieces
- 1 yellow pepper chopped into small pieces
- 2-3 medium carrots pealed and chopped into small pieces
- 1 white onion diced into small pieces
- 2 garlic cloves finely sliced
- 1 red chili pepper finely sliced
- 1 packed of coriander finely chopped
- 1 cup of red wine
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 cube of beef stock for broth
- 1 tsp. cayenne or chili pepper (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preparation and cooking
Once you’ve chopped all the ingredients, fry the onions over medium heat in the olive oil for 2-3 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Add the garlic and red chili pepper then fry for another 2 minutes until the garlic softens.
- Add the minced beef to the pot and mix well separating the minced beef pieces so that it doesn’t clump. Continue to fry for 5-6 minutes, turning every minute or so until the mince is cooked.
- Season the meat pot with cayenne, salt and pepper, then mix in the tomato paste and add half a cup of red wine, then add the carrots and cover the pot. Leave to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Dissolve the beef stock cube in one cup of boiling water and add this to the pot, mixing all the ingredients and simmering for another 10 minutes (mixing occasionally).
- Place the red, yellow and green pepper into the pot alongside half of the chopped coriander and the remaining red wine. Mix and simmer for another 15 minutes (mixing occasionally).
- Turn the heat off, add the remaining coriander and mix. Add more salt and pepper if required.
- Serve with white rice, lemon and mustard potatoes or oven roasted sprouts.