This tasty, tangy chicken recipe is one of my favourites and it’s all cooked in one pot, creating less to wash up later. If you’re a lemon lover, you’ve got to try it.
Preparation time: 10 minutes. Cooking time: 60 minutes.
Ingredients (serves 3 – 4 people)
- 6 chicken thighs (bone and skin on)
- 3-4 small potatoes (skin on) sliced into 2cm thick pieces
- 1 white onion sliced
- 2 garlic cloves finely sliced
- A bunch of fresh dill
- 2 tsp. paprika powder
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. cayenne or chili pepper
- 1/2 cup of white wine
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- Juice of one lemon
- Skin of one lemon cut into quaters
- 1 cube of chicken stock for broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
Heat olive oil on medium-high and while it heats season the chicken with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Place the chicken thighs into the pan (skin side down) and sear for 6-8 minutes until the skin starts to brown.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside for now.
Add the onion to the pan and stir occasionally until it softens, then add the garlic and leave for a further 1-2 minutes (until the garlic softens but doesn’t burn).
- Return the chicken thighs to the pot (skin side up) and add one cup of chicken broth (mix chicken stock with boiling water). Add the white wine and bring to the boil. The pot should have enough water to reach half way up the chicken thighs.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and add the paprika, curry powder, cayenne pepper, lemon skin and half of the chopped dill to the pot and cover to simmer for 50 minutes (basting with the liquid every 10 minutes or so).
- After 30 minutes of simmering, add half of the lemon juice to the pot and cover.
- 10 minutes before completion, remove and discard the lemon skin, then add the potatoes to the base of the pot and place the thighs on top of them. The potato slices should be almost entirely immersed in the liquid remaining within the pot. Add the remaining lemon juice and leave to simmer.
- Once the potatoes are tender, turn the heat off and sprinkle the remaining dill all over the dish. Garnish with lemon slices (optional).
- Serve with steamed broccoli, honey glazed carrots or oven roasted sprouts.